Timekeepers Square, Salford
Situated within the Adelphi/Bexley Square conservation area between Neo-classical grade-II listed St Philip’s Church and the Cathedral of St John, the public and private landscaping for the residential development at Timekeepers square has sought to create a fresh, contemporary take on a strong landscape vernacular.
HED was commissioned to prepare the landscape concept, planning application and detail design for this prestigious new residential development of 34 townhouses in Salford, part of the Salford Central regeneration scheme. HED also oversaw the delivery of the landscaping on site.
The scheme creates a peaceful paved space through St Philip’s Walk, with natural stone planters and multi-stem trees framing the view toward the church and toward new and existing artworks. The view from the site toward the Cathedral of St John inspired Lowry’s ‘By St Philips Church’ originally painted in 1926, now captured here with a specially commissioned reproduction engraved within the paving.
Warm tones of York stone pull the scheme together, with paving, raised stone planters and plinths setting off the bright, crisp architecture of the townhouses. Soft seasonal planting and a structure of evergreen hedges frame the buildings and create defensible space for residents and green backdrop to the routes and spaces.
Site Area: 0.5 Hectares
Read more on architectsjournal.co.uk
|Main Contractor:||John Turner Construction|
|Engineer:||Integra Consulting, Hannan Associates|
|Project Manager:||Appleyard and Trew|